My confession: I have been an ASS:
When I was in high school, I used to think that EVERYTHING was ‘lame’ and / or cruel:
(Can you see the pattern in the list below?)
- School rules were cruel because they favoured the ‘perfect students’ and they were lame because they just made no sense.
- Teachers were cruel because they favoured the ‘well-behaved’ students.
- The good kids were lame because they obeyed the lame rules.
- Sporting activities were cruel because they made us non-athletes look stupid (see picture below).
- Sporting activities were cruel because they were won by the lame students who obeyed the lame school rules as set out by the lame teachers.
By the way, I ALSO hated:
- people who wore pink,
- the concept of ‘white picket fences’,
- mothers in shops whose babies were crying,
- girls that wore pink make-up,
- girls that wanted to have a pony,
- girls with perfect hair,
- girls with long legs.
I was a teenager filled with unkind thoughts that were often not based on any real facts. I despised everything and everyone from the school cheerleaders to the school prefects to the school beauty queens.
I basically thought that these people were aliens from another planet. And, I was not particularly nice or friendly towards them. Why? Because I was an ASS.
(It was much easier to mock the cheerleader than to admit that I wasn’t pretty or co-ordinated or popular enough to be a cheerleader myself)
How do I know that I was an ASS?
Some time ago, a new person started working here at the College. When I first met her I thought that she was the type of person that, in many ways, represented the kinds of people that I would have despised back in my teenage years.
In my mind, my new colleague was:
- the typical school cheerleader – She is such a happy person and she just loves team spirit activities.
- the school beauty queen – She is tall, blonde and beautiful.
- the typical beautiful girl with perfect blonde hair and perfect long legs.
Basically, I thought that she was somebody that was SO different from me.
I now have to eat a huge slice of humble pie:
This new colleague:
- Is one of the COOLEST, NON-LAME people that I know,
- She is one of the SMARTEST people that I know,
- She is one of the KINDEST people that I know,
- She is so not even remotely cruel that she wouldn’t even hurt a flea,
- She is one of the FUNNIEST people that I know,
- She is one of the most ASSERTIVE people that I know.
And, in addition, this colleague helped me to realise that I was an ASS because she pointed out just how similar her and I are!!
- We both love the same perfume,
- We both love the same wine,
- We both love drinking LOTS of wine,
- We both love to make potjiekos,
- We both love to tell funny stories about our youth,
- We both love road trips and adventures,
- We both love standing up for what we believe in,
- We both have very loving hearts,
- We live in the same neighbourhood,
- We work at the same place,
- We both used to be rebels,
- We both like ‘souvenirs’ from places we visit.
The list could go on and on.
We are so similar that we joke that we could have been sisters. People just like her are people just like me.
If ever I am stranded with a group of people on a deserted island, I can only hope that she will be there with me:
- She will keep me happy and laughing with all her motivational and team activities,
- She will find a way to steal (for both of us) the last of the remaining wine,
- She will find a way to make me look pretty in spite of being stranded on a deserted island,
- She will stand up to anybody who tries to hurt my feelings,
- She will keep me entertained with all her amazing stories,
- She will be physically strong enough to build us a shelter (she’s given birth to 3 kids … so this basically makes her Superwoman!!),
- She will be able to pick fruit from the tall tree branches because of her lovely long legs.
And, final PS:
If ever I find somebody to marry, I want her to organise the whole wedding. Because of her, I know that I will be able to have the craziest wedding with 1 000 pink ponies, fountains of red wine, rainbows and unicorns.
She’s so super cool … and I am honoured to call her my friend.
I will try to be less of an ass in the future …