Some of you might know about an old story (or fable) that speaks about a race between a Tortoise and a Hare.
The story starts off by introducing us to the Hare (really just a bunny rabbit). The Hare challenges his friend, the Tortoise, to a race.
Everyone predicted that the Hare (I am going to call him The Bunny) would win the race.
Look at the picture below and ask yourself which one of the two would win a speed race:
Any logical person would pick the Bunny to win, right?
Well, the Bunny did NOT win the race. The Tortoise won the race.
How did a tortoise beat a bunny in a race?
This is why the Bunny LOST the race:
- The Bunny was over-confident even before the race started – he did not even consider the possibility that he might lose;
- The Bunny was arrogant – he mocked the Tortoise and made other ‘people’ laugh at the Tortoise;
- The Bunny, because he was so over-confident, made silly decisions during the race – during the race he stopped to get something to eat, and after that, he actually took a nap under a tree;
- The Bunny didn’t even think about checking where the Tortoise was during the race – he was completely oblivious to anything going on around him;
- The Bunny lost all focus during the race;
- The Bunny allowed himself to become very distracted during the race;
- The Bunny took too many breaks during the race.
This is why the Tortoise WON the race:
- The Tortoise was not afraid to accept a challenge;
- The Tortoise did not run away when the other ‘people’ mocked him when he accepted the challenge;
- The Tortoise believed that he was capable of participating in the race;
- The Tortoise was realistic about his abilities – he knew he was slower, BUT, he also knew that he had more perseverance than the Bunny;
- The Tortoise knew that in order to finish the race (never mind win the race) that he had to believe in himself;
- The Tortoise did not take the other competitor (the Bunny) for granted;
- The Tortoise did not allow himself to lose focus during the race;
- The Tortoise did not allow himself to quit during the race ;
- The Tortoise had perseverance.
In life, one of the greatest skills to have is perseverance.
Perseverance is directly linked to success:
Another way of understanding perseverance is by the attitude of never giving up – no matter what.
At College SA, we completely understand that the ‘race’ of life can be challenging.
WE believe in YOU. We will be by your side during your entire education journey. We will support you, encourage you and help you.
Be bold – enter the ‘race’ (start studying)
Find a course that interests you.
Together with YOUR PERSEVERANCE, we will help you successfully pass your course
Don’t be afraid to be a Turtle. Turtle Power!!